Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Michigan Xtreme's Cheerlebrity...

Miss Halie Lindberg!


What first inspired you to get into cheerleading and how old were you? 
My sister Kim started cheerleading her freshman year in high school and that’s when I fell in love with the sport.  I would go to all of her games and cheer on the sidelines with her and the team.  Even though I was only seven years old I would stunt with the team and I begged my mom to put me in tumble classes. 

Where and how did you start out?
I started out at Premier Cheer Zone All-stars in 2002, a small program at Splitz Gymnastics run by Stephanie Gagleard, Rachele Frusti-Lindberg, and my sister Kim.  There I learned all my basics and what cheerleading was all about.  After five years of moving up levels I switched gyms and went to Michigan Xtreme, where I ended up on the Small Junior level four team, Superstars.  Many national titles were won that season and I knew Michigan Xtreme was where I wanted to stay.

Did you fall in love with cheer after “Day 1” or did it have to grow on you?
Since the day I saw my sister flying, I knew that cheerleading was what wanted to do.  My first year was the most difficult.  It was really challenging learning to tumble and I was too scared to try anything by myself.  I threw my first back handspring because my coach bet me a dollar!  I’d say that through my first season it had to grow on me, but since then I’ve been completely in love with competitive cheer.

Have you had any major setbacks that you had to overcome?
In 2010, a week before The Cheerleading Worlds, I tore my ACL and meniscus doing a full.  I couldn’t compete there for the second season in a row and I was heartbroken, it’s what I had been looking forward to my entire cheerleading career.  I went to Worlds and rooted for my team, and then as soon as we returned, I got surgery to repair my knee.  After eight months of continuous physical therapy I was able to start cheering again.  The recovery process was really tough and it was hard to re-gain all my skills, but with A LOT of hard work and dedication, I did it.
               
What goals have you set for yourself and achieved?  Are there any left you’re still shooting for?
One of the goals I recently achieved is being chosen for the Inside Cheerleading 2011 All-American All-star team, based on leadership, academics, and talent.  Another goal I recently achieved that I’m very proud of was being invited to the University of Kentucky cheerleading tryouts for the 2012-2013 season.  My next goal is to go to tryouts in April and make the blue squad.

What have you learned during your cheer career?
Confidence is key - if you’re not confident in yourself and your team it’s hard to achieve your goals.

Talk about the relationships you have formed from your years as a cheerleader:
This season my team and coaches are truly like my second family, we would do anything for each other.  We always show support and cheer each other on and I know I can go to them for anything.
 
If you could go back and do it all again, would you change anything?
No, I wouldn’t change a thing. Everything that happened throughout these past ten years of cheerleading helped me grow into a stronger and more determined athlete.

After you graduate from high school, what’s next?
I’ve been accepted to both the University of Kentucky and the University of Louisville.  This spring I’ll be trying out for their cheer teams.  I’m hoping to attend one of these schools and further my cheerleading career and get my education in order to become a physical therapist.

What advice would you give a young person in competitive cheer?
I would tell them to never give up and always make sure you’re enjoying yourself.  It’s a difficult sport with plenty of stress (both mental and physical), but it’s worth it!!


GOOD LUCK HALIE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment